What?
The arts. I would say that the arts have always been a HUGE part of my life. My father is a musician and my mother is a dancer, and I have inherited an immense love for both. I took piano lessons off and on growing up and choir in high school. I've always loved to draw and to paint too.
The only art teacher I can remember in Elementary School, and middle school also, was Mrs. Anderson. She was a total hippie, now that I remember! She had long, red hair and loved her students' creativity. She was a fun lady. I think her unique appearance was what made me remember her, but she was always nice and encouraged us to be creative.
So What?
As a future teacher I hope to be able to incorporate my love for the arts into most of my subjects. Music is a huge part of my life and I hope to use songs and instruments in my teachings. Also, after having learned that students who are involved in the arts do better in all other subjects, I hope to have a time in my classroom where students can learn to express themselves through art so that they can improve in other subjects as well.
Now What?
As much as music and the arts have been a part of my life, I'm going to try and be more open to the other forms of art like drama and abstract art. Just because music is my thing, doesn't mean that it will be my students' thing. So I'm going to try to adapt myself this semester to enjoy all art. I already do, for the most part, but I feel like if I can develop a love for the other forms too then I will better be able to reach out to my students and each of their individual talents, wants and needs.
Tara, I'm excited for your future students! Between your love for the arts and your desire to reach out to them, I'm sure they will have a great educational experience in your class.
ReplyDelete