Sunday, January 30, 2011

Reflection #2: Visual Arts

What?

This week we learned about Visual Art.  It's one of the most commonly viewed types of art as...."art".  We learned of all the elements within Visual Art and how to define them, and what they can add to the artwork.  We also learned how the principles of art add to the artwork as well.

So What?

Knowing now what I do about visual art, as I teacher I can teach it too my students.  I think knowing about the elements and principles gives the artwork more depth and meaning.  I didn't know that much about visual art, and it means more now to me, so why wouldn't it mean more to my students?  Learning about art gives children a new way to express themselves, and a new way to look at life in general.

Now What?

Now that I have learned more about Visual Art and how it can be used in the classroom, I can use my Arts Journal for lots of ideas on how to incorporate it into lessons.  I've always really liked visual art, but after learning how long a person looks at a painting (only about 5 seconds!) I think it's important to point out the meaning of the artwork.  I feel like now when I look at Visual Art, I'll look deeper.  I'll actually look for the message the artist was trying to convey - because they took hours to make it, and it should be enjoyed by the world for more that just a few seconds a person.  I think it's important for students to look at Visual Art with this perspective.

And the group project went great.  Because I was quite busy this last week, the most contribution I made was the virtual handout.  I was the one who put it together.  The rest of the group met once before we presented and gave everyone assignments.  I feel that we worked great together, I just felt bad that I couldn't be there when they were meeting.  But we communicated and worked together well, definitely!  It was fun!  I would love to use these ideas and projects in class one day!
    
 

1 comment:

  1. Tara, you are so right - effective use of the elements and principles of art are what make something art (rather than just color or shape on a page), and understanding them makes it worthwhile to spend more than 5 seconds to understand what the artist was trying to communicate - good insight!

    ReplyDelete